The WNDB Internship Grant provides grants to students from diverse backgrounds (people of color, people with disabilities, people from the LGBTQIAP+ community, and other underrepresented groups) who wish to pursue a career in children’s publishing.
Publishing is still a very homogeneous industry. According to Publishers Weekly’s 2016 annual survey of the industry, 88% of respondents described themselves as white/Caucasian, with 4% selecting Asian, 4% indicating Hispanic, and 3% mixed race.
One possible cause? Year after year, internships–which are critical to developing a career in the publishing world–are not financially accessible to many.
In response to this current reality, We Need Diverse Books (WNDB) offers grants to support interns from diverse backgrounds. Our goal is to assist people who might not otherwise be able to accept an internship to achieve their dream of a career in publishing.
The grants are intended to supplement a paid position at participating publishing houses. Eligibility requirements are listed below. Eligibility is subject to review by the WNDB Internship Grant Committee.
- Applicant must identify as coming from a diverse background as noted in the WNDB mission statement.
- Applicant must be a high school graduate, currently enrolled college/university student, or recent college graduate.
- Applicant must have received a paid internship offer from a participating publisher or from a qualifying literary agent. (However, we recommend that you submit your application for the WNDB Internship Grant while you’re applying for internships)
- The position must be at least half time, minimum wage.
- For publishers, the internship must be in the children’s division. For literary agencies, the internship must have a focus on children’s publishing (spending at least 50% of the time on children’s books).
- Bloomsbury Publishing
- Chronicle Books
- Hachette Book Group
- Lee & Low
- Macmillan Publishers
- Penguin Random House
- Simon & Schuster
PARTNER LITERARY AGENCIES
- Charlotte Sheedy Literary Agency
- Donald Maass Literary Agency
- Nancy Gallt Literary Agency
- Serendipity Literary Agency
- Writers House
We will be adding more partners up until March 31. If you are a publisher or literary agency interested in participating, please contact us.
In 2017, we have five $2500 grants to award, along with a metro stipend to each intern
OBTAINING A GRANT APPLICATION
Please click here to fill out the application.