Walter Grant FAQ | We Need Diverse Books
Skip to content
- I write in many different genres. Can I submit samples in several different genres?
- Please choose one category to submit, whichever you feel is a better fit for consideration.
- I am not a U.S. Citizen. Can I apply?
- You are eligible to apply if you have legal residence in the United States regardless of citizenship.
- When will I hear back that I won?
- Winners will be notified November 2016.
- My illustrations would be better evaluated in person. Can I mail it in?
- Unfortunately, we cannot have original works or copies mailed in. Any illustration must be submitted electronically.
- Is there an application fee?
- There is no application fee to apply for the Walter Grant.
- The submission guidelines say that applicants cannot have books on submission. What does this mean?
- Applicants who have books on submission to publishing houses are not eligible for the Walter Grant. Books on submission to procure an agent however will not render the applicant ineligible.
- I published a book (adult, textbook, etc) but it was not a children’s book. Am I eligible?
- No. Authors who have published outside of children’s literature are also not eligible for the Walter Grant.
- Do I need an English degree or previous publications to apply?
- There are no degree or publication credits required to apply for the grant.
- I self-published a book, am I eligible for the Walter Grant?
- No, authors who have have self published are not eligible for the Walter Grant.