We Need Diverse BooksTM needs your help to continue and further our mission!
With your donation, WNDB will be able to:
- Diversify our classrooms: WNDB in the Classroom is an initiative that will bring the opportunity to explore a diverse author’s book to a different classroom every month of the school year. Our vision is that classrooms will share their discussion about each diverse book on the web, meeting with authors at the end of the month either in person or via Skype to talk about their reading experience. Our goal is to bring diverse authors into the classrooms of the students who need to see them the most.
- Support diverse authors: Through our newly announced Walter Dean Myers Award & Grant program, “The Walter” will recognize outstanding diverse contributions by authors in Young Adult and Middle Grade literature, and provide funds to help develop new diverse authors and artists.
- Promote diverse programming: WNDB will continue to have a presence at conferences and festivals across the country, aiming to foster positive, honest, and constructive discussions on diversity and show people that a diverse book is just a good book that any child can enjoy.
- Develop educational kits: In conjunction with School Library Journal and the American Booksellers Association, WNDB is creating educational kits to introduce teachers, librarians and booksellers to select diverse books.
How can I send my donation to WNDB?
You can make donations via PayPal by clicking on the DONATE link on our sidebar. Checks can be made out to We Need Diverse Books and sent to:
10319 Westlake Drive #104
Bethesda, MD 20817
Are there other ways to support WNDB?
When you are shopping on Amazon, eBay, and other e-vendor sites, you can direct some of your purchase to WNDB!
- Amazon Smile allows you to direct 0.5% of your purchase price to the nonprofit of your choice, at no extra cost to you. The first time you visit Amazon’s homepage via smile.amazon.com, you can log into your regular Amazon account and search for We Need Diverse Books when prompted to choose your charity. Then, as long as you always begin your shopping at smile.amazon.com, whatever you buy helps WNDB move closer to its goals.
- Sellers and shoppers on eBay can choose to donate percentages at the time of purchase. Visit our charity page here to get started. Add WNDB to your list of favorite charities, and you will be prompted to donate (always with the option not to) whenever you are shopping on eBay.
- iGive is a website that functions as a portal to many of the e-commerce sites you’re likely already shopping on. Once you have an account, you can install a browser button and then choose WNDB as your charity of choice. iGive will direct some of your purchase price to our organization at no extra cost for you.